Welcome to National Cadet Corps U.P. Directorate, India, Homepage
NCC INDIA
Photo Gallery Certificate Result Downloads Enquiry
home
contact
 
Lt Gen P.S. Bhalla
PVSM, AVSM (DGNCC)
 
Maj Gen Balraj Singh
ADG, NCC(UP)
About NCC
  Aim of NCC
  A.D.G. Desk
  NCC Song
  NCC Pledge
Home > About NCC
History
  • The National Cadet Corps (NCC) was raised during the British rule in the year 1917 as University Training Corps. It was converted into University Officers Training Corps in 1941. After undergoing an evolutionary process of over 30 yrs, NCC in its present form took birth in Independent India on 16 Nov 1948.  Girls Division was added in 1949, Air Wing in 1950 and Naval Wing in 1952, making NCC a Tri Service Organization Function under the Ministry of Defence.
  • In Uttar Pradesh, (UP) NCC came into existence in the year 1948.  NCC Dte (UP) was raised on 17 Jan 1950.   It was then known as “HQ No.6 Circle NCC”. The first Circle Cdr was Lt Col Dilbagh Singh.  
  • After 1960, the number of units increased from 8 to 46.  As years advanced, the NCC progressed and on 21 Nov 1962 the appt of the Cdr was upgraded to the rank of Brig. Col ADJ Victor, the then Circle Cdr, took over as Dir, NCC, UP in the rank of Brig. During his tenure the NCC in the State progress and the number of NCC units went upto 123.
  • This rapid expansion of NCC called for some kind of intermediary HQ between Units and the Dte for exercise of better command, cont and supervision of training and other NCC activities.  The concept of Group HQ emerged and for the first time fourteen Group HQs came into existence in Dec. 1962.
  • Consequent to the Chinese aggression in 1962, NCC was made compulsory. A number of NCC units and sub units were raised.  To provide NCC cover to all the Districts of the State and all the States of the Country, the concept of NCC Rifles was implemented under the leadership of Major Gen RS Paintal, then DG of NCC. The number of NCC units increased to 186 in the State. However, in 1968, NCC was again made a voluntary force. With a modest beginning of eight units initially, the Dte went up to fourteen Group HQs and one hundred twenty three NCC Units spread all  over the States of UP and Uttaranchal, with sanctioned cadet strength of 1,41,555. The Director in 1985 got redesignated as Deputy Director  General and a full Colonel’s post was created to assist him in the Dte. This appointment came to be known as Director.
  • After creation of Uttaranchal State in Nov 2001, three Group HQs (Dehradun, Nainital & Roorkee) and sixteen Units were transferred to the new State and balance eleven groups and one hundred seven units remained in the State of UP.  The Dte was therefore, renamed as NCC Dte, UP Lucknow.  On 29 Jun 2006, the State of Uttaranchal sanctioned its own NCC Directorate and the NCC Directorate at Lucknow once again assumed its earlier name, NCC Directorate UP, with eleven Group HQs loc at Agra, Aligarh, Allahabad, Bareilly, Ghaziabad, Gorakhpur, Kanpur, Lucknow, Meerut and two groups at Varanasi namely A & B. The latest addition to this Dte is 31 UP Girls Bn NCC which is presently being raised at Greater Noida. There are total 11 Groups HQs and 108 NCC Bns.
Total Visitors
Free Web Counters
Join Us @:
image    image
Best Viewed in 1024x768 resolution and above Powered By Softwarez Technocrew